The Duke of Lancaster is a railway steamer passenger ship that operated in Europe from 1956 to 1979, and is currently beached near Mostyn Docks, on the River Dee, north-east Wales.
She was launched in 1956 by Harland and Wolff, who built the Titanic and HMS Belfast.
After serving as a Sealink passenger ferry, she was renamed the Fun Ship and used as a bar and flea market, but closed to the public in the mid-Eighties and has been rusting ever since.
More recently the hull of the Duke of Lancaster steamer has been used as a blank canvas for colourful graffiti by some of Europe’s most talented street artists. The artists have daubed eight images on the hull so far, with one work – Eduk the Diver by the Cream Soda Crew – stretching 60ft high and 45ft wide.
The Duke of Lancaster’s owners have welcomed the project, letting them gain access to the dock for days at a time to create the spray painted artwork.
The plan is to transform the ship into the largest open air art gallery in the UK.
This image shows one of the artworks and is a picture of the ship’s first captain, John ‘Jack’ Irwin. FUJI HS20
A Love of Boats