The Duke of Lancaster is a railway steamer passenger ship that operated in Europe from 1956 to 1979, and is currently beached near Mostyn Docks, on the River Dee, north-east Wales.
She was launched in 1956 by Harland and Wolff, who built the Titanic and HMS Belfast.
After serving as a Sealink passenger ferry, she was renamed the Fun Ship and used as a bar and flea market, but closed to the public in the mid-Eighties and has been rusting ever since.
More recently the hull of the Duke of Lancaster steamer has been used as a blank canvas for colourful graffiti by some of Europe’s most talented street artists. The artists have daubed eight images on the hull so far, with one work – Eduk the Diver by the Cream Soda Crew – stretching 60ft high and 45ft wide.
The Duke of Lancaster’s owners have welcomed the project, letting them gain access to the dock for days at a time to create the spray painted artwork.
The plan is to transform the ship into the largest open air art gallery in the UK.
A Love of Boats