Gylen Castle was built in 1582 by the Clan MacDougall and was only occupied for a relatively short period of time. The castle lies at the south end of the island of Kerrera, Argyll, Scotland, strategically placed to command the southern approaches to Oban by the narrow Sound of Kerrera. In 1647 the castle was besieged and burned by General Leslie’s Covenanter army during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. It was never re-occupied again. A restoration of the castle was completed in 2006.
Image is best viewed large.
Nikkor 16-85mm VR