This is Kyrenia Castle, dominating the entrance to the little harbor of Kyrenia in Northern Cyprus.
The original castle is thought to have been built around the 7th century by the Byzantines as a defense against the invading Arabs. A large portion was later added by King John D’Ibelin between 1208 and 1211. In 1373 the Venetians laid siege to the castle where it suffered heavy damage. After capturing Kyrenia, they implemented structural improvements to the castle.
Kyrenia castle remained in Venetian hands until 1570 when it was surrendered to the Ottomans without resistance. The Turks brought stability to Kyrenia which lasted three centuries, until the British took over the island. During British rule the castle was used as a prison and a police school. After Cypriot independence it was used as a military headquarters.
Image is best viewed large.
Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G
Aperture 1/640 sec
Focal Length 48mm