The old Green Mill, which was built in 1823, was operated by the Green Family for over 140 years. It was part of a 6,000 acre farm and timber complex that supported several family owned businesses. Farmers from surrounding counties would come to the town with grain for milling into flour and cornmeal. Willis Green, a War of 1812 veteran and oldest in his family, bought the land in 1821. Thereafter, beginning construction on the house, now the Green Farm Mansion.
Willis’ nephew Lafayette Green expanded the operation with the addition of a General Store and second sawmill. Lafayette married Eleanor Scott of Frankfort and together had four children: Willis, Preston, Robert and Jenny.
The third generation Willis Green oversaw the operation of the Green Family Farm until his death in the mid 1940’s. His sister Jennie, the last direct descendant, lived prominently until her passing in 1965.
Even though the old mill looks like it is about ready to fall, take heart, The restoration has just begun, so maybe it will be here in Ky. for many generations to come.