Harmony Mills in Cohoes, New York which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1999, is a significant example of a large-scale, nineteenth century textile factory complex.
The building pictured, one of the smaller on site, was part of the nation’s leading manufacturer of cotton fabric. The major construction of the complex took place, in stages, between 1836 and 1872.
The textile company was founded in 1836 by Peter Harmony, utilizing water diverted from Cohoes Falls to power its operation. However, the first factory struggled to make a profit and was sold at auction in 1850 to New York City merchant Thomas Garner and Valatie, New York mill owner Nathan Wild, who hired cotton manufacturing expert Robert Johnson to manage the Cohoes facility.
Business flourished, however, during the early twentieth century the company steadily declined due to increasing competition, the growing cost of labor and technological advances. The operation shut down in the 1930s.
Now known as “The Lofts”, this building phase 3 of the redevelopment, and transformed into apartments.