When the MGA arrived in 1955, MG enthusiasts had become used to the pre-war look of the company’s sports cars, with their 1930’s-style.
The MGA was a complete departure. Its streamlined body was right up to the minute in terms of appearance, and it was powered by a new engine, the much more modern B-series.
MG had gone as far as building a full prototype of the MGA by using TD running gear, the 1250 XPAG engine, a re-designed chassis, and the MGA bodywork.
When it eventually became clear that the TF Midget was a bit of a lame duck and that it would have to be replaced, the new MG sports car was finally given the chance it deserved. The delay in production had one advantage in that it allowed MG to refine the design and install the much newer 1489cc four cylinder B-series engine and its transmission from the Magnette saloon.
When the MGA was finally announced shortly after three aluminium bodied prototypes of the new sports car ran with distinction at Le Mans, the car already had a competition background as testimony to its pedigree. No doubt this did much to ensure its acceptance by enthusiasts who were reluctant to say goodbye to the more traditional MGs.
This immaculate example was parked on the spectator bank during the VSCC “Spring Start” race meeting at Silverstone, 23rd April 2011.
Nikon D50, Sigma 18-50 at 26mm, Shutter Priority 1/160 sec, f/11 ISO400.