The Shell House, Hatfield Forest
Jacob Houblon III built The Shell House in about 1754. It was attached to a cottage by his new lake and was occupied by a housekeeper who kept poultry and peacocks. Jacob’s daughter Laetitia decorated the interior and exterior with exotic and colourful shells, (mostly from the West Indies as they were used as ballast in the holds of slave ships) split flints, blue glass, coral and sands. The cottage was later demolished.
The Shell House has recently been restored by
The National Trust