Anyone visiting the “home of horse racing” cannot fail to miss the Newmarket Clock Tower, situated at the top of the High Street, as they enter the town. Local builder Richard Arber built it to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee of 1887. The tower was paid for by public subscription but local trainer Charles Blanton donated the clock made by Smiths of Derby. The clock tower was officially opened in 1890 and it takes 115 turns to fully wind the clock every week.
View larger to see more detail