On December 20, 1910 the Military Aviation Service of Chile was formed. Although a school was included, the first officers were sent to France for their training. The Military Aviation School was named in honor of him in 1944, and still carries that name today.
Typical aircraft of that era were Avro 504, Bleriot XI, Bristol M.1C, DH.9, and SE5a. In the following decade, the (Airmail Line of Chile) was created on March 5, 1929 as a branch of the military aviation. This postal airline later developed into the National Airline that is still the leading airline in Chile today. On March 21, 1930 the existing aviation elements of the army and navy were amalgamated into a dedicated department: the Department of the Air Force effectively creating the National Air Force.
The first outlines of the organization of the current air force were visible in 1945 with the inception of First Transport Group, later renumbered Grupo 10, with two C-45s and a single T-6 Texan at Los Cerrillos. Two years later the first Fuerza Aérea flight to Antarctica was performed. The fifties meant entry into the jet age for the FACh, and Grupo 7 was the first unit to receive them in 1954. Chile got its aircraft from both the United States and Europe. The American supply consisted of Lockheed F-80, Lockheed T-33, Beech T-34 Mentor, Cessna T-37, Cessna A-37 Dragonfly and Northrop F-5E/F for example, whereas the British supplied Hawker Hunters and the French delivered various helicopters and Dassault Mirage 50 aircraft.