The Salvadoran Air Force (Fuerza Aérea Salvadoreña) was formed on March 20, 1923 during a period of heavy interest in aviation in El Salvador.
The Salvadoran Air Force first saw action in the 1969 Football war against Honduras equipped with F4U Corsairs and P-51 Mustangs. From the late 1970s isolated terrorist actions rapidly developed into a civil war, US aid to El Savador in 1980 consisted of six UH-1Hs and four in 1981; they were used as gunships. Other deliveries brought that number up to 40 UH-1Hs in service.In February 1982 onwards the USA delivered eight A-37B Dragonflies, 12 UH-1Hs, four O-2As and three C-123Ks. In December 1984 two AC-47s were delivered to be in service with the other three C-47s in use. The civil war ended in mutual exhaustion in 1990 and the airforce was geared for internal security.