Shop

Marine Fighting Squadron 441 Emblem by warbirdwear

T-Shirts & Hoodies

Style:
We Use American Apparel Sizing Chart
or
$28.71
Available to buy on…

Marine Fighting Squadron 441 Emblem by 


Marine Fighting Squadron 441 (VMF-441) was activated on October 1, 1942 Tutuila on American Samoa from elements of VMF-111. By the end of May 1943 the entire squadron had moved to Funafuti in the Ellice Islands and this was followed on September 28, 1943 by another move to Nanomea. The squadron moved back to Tutuila in December 1943 where they transitioned to the F4U-1 Corsair.

On January 1, 1944, VMF-441 joined Marine Aircraft Group 31 (MAG-31) on Roi-Namur. By March 1944 the squadron was again on the offensive conducting raids against Mili and Jaluit. During the Battle of Okinawa, VMF-441 landed at Yontan Airfield on April 7, 1945.5 On April 16, 1945, four divisions of VMF-441 planes came to the rescue of the USS Laffey (DD-724) which had already been hit by five kamikazes. Their Corsairs attacked a flight of 25 Japanese planes and were credited with shooting down 15 1/2 enemy planes, losing one of their own because he was flying so low that both he and the Japanese plane he was chasing clipped Laffey’s superstructure. The squadron was still on Okinawa when the Japanese surrendered and were deactivated at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California on July 11, 1946.

Tags

marine, squadron, 441, warbird, corsair, fighter, attack, world

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait