The lighthouse at the entrance of Los Angeles Harbor was completed in 1913 at a cost of just under $36,000, was built around twelve steel columns and sits at the end of the 9,250-foot San Pedro breakwater. The bottom of the lighthouse is octagonal, while the top three stories are cylindrical. The twelve columns, now covered with black pilasters, give the lighthouse a Romanesque feel. No other lighthouse was ever built to this design.
Featured in “United States” 05/03/10