Hodbarrow Point lighthouse, near Millom in Cumbria.
Hodbarrow Lighthouse has also been known as Millom breakwater lighthouse and Haverigg lighthouse. In April 1900 Hodbarrow Mining Co. Ltd started building a sea wall to protect the iron ore workings which extended under the river bed of the Duddon estuary.
By 3rd April 1905 the breakwater was completed and the current cast iron tower lighthouse, made by Messrs. Cochrane & Co, first exhibited a light in July of that year. It replaced the Company’s 1866 stone lighthouse whose light was extinguished the same day.
The 30 feet tall tower has two floors accessible by internal ladders. Despite electricity not reaching the mining company until 1929 the lamp was fuelled by paraffin throughout its working life. The lens was supplied by Barbier Benard et Turenne of Paris and the light was white occulting; eclipsed 3 seconds every 10 seconds and visible for 10 miles.
The fog warning system was also made by Barbier Bernard et Turenne and in foggy conditions the bell gave 2 quick strokes every 10 seconds.
As trade declined at Duddon Port and the mine output dropped, Hodbarrow Mining Co. Ltd. wrote on 19th January 1949 to the Admiralty’s Hydrographic Department advising them that they did not expect to exhibit a light there until trade improved. The also cited the poor state of their wharf and the wharf of the neighbouring iron works as further reasons for the decommissioning of the light and confirmed that they had advised Trinity House of their actions.
Thus it seems the light went out in 1949 after 44 years and the mines fell into disuse and were allowed to flood when the pumps were switched off.
The flooding allowed the RSPB create the current nature reserve.(Source WWW.Luphen.org )
Sony Alpha 350 DSLR 18-70 lens,3 RAW autobracketed images,tonemapped in Photomatix