Loch an Eilein is a small loch on the Rothiemurchus estate about 5 km south of Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park. The name Loch an Eilein comes from the gaelic ‘loch of the island’.
Rob Roy and other cattle rustlers used the loch and one side of the loch is called ‘Robbers Way’.
In the middle of the Loch are ruins of the castle. The castle was once a stronghold of Alexander Stewart,the Earl of Buchan and known as the Wolf of Badenoch who died around the turn of the 15th century.
The Jacobites, retreating from Cromdale in 1690, besieged the castle, led by Dame Grizel Mor Grant, widow of the fifth laird Grant. At this time the castle was connected to the shore by a causeway. The causeway was lost when the water level in the loch was raised in the 18th century.
Sony Alpha 350 DSLR 18-70 lens single RAW tonemapped in Photomatix