The Admiralty took over the buildings and the Royal Naval College was transferred from Portsmouth in 1873. For a while some ward spaces were used as museum rooms of the Naval College, though subsequently all the ward spaces were sub-divided in one way or another for use as lecture theatres, classrooms and offices, together with some residential accommodation. The contents of the museum rooms were moved to the National Maritime Museum on its opening in 1937.
A few years ago it was decided that the staff colleges of the Navy, Army, and Air Force should be merged into one, and this, of course, meant that the Greenwich buildings would be no longer required by the Navy. After some discussion, it was announced in 1996 that the buildings would be let, and the government set up trustees to look after the buildings and liaise with the new tenants. A charitable trust, The Greenwich Foundation for the Royal Naval College, was set up, and responsibility for the site passed to them when the Royal Navy moved out in December 1998. Tone mapped in photomatix, hdr in cs5.