[6 spot burnet, Aran Islands, bloom, Calendar, Canon EOS 5D MkII, close up, duvet, featured, Featured-RB, flower, Galway Bay, Greater Knapweed, Inishmore, iPhone cover, iPad cover, Irish, leggings, magenta, moth, mugs, pink, pillows, purple, six, spot, tote bag, throw pillows, wild flower, Wildflower Card, Wild Flower Calendar 2014, 2015, winner, >500 >1,000 >2,000 >3,000, >4,000 >5,000 >6,000 >7,000 >8,000 views >9,000 >10,000 >11,000 >12,000 >13,000 views, eleven features, iPhone cover, iPad cover, tote bag, throw pillows]
- 10th February 2016 View Count reached 13,000
- 24 th August 2014 Achieved its Eleventh feature in the group Local Critters
Camera EOS 5D Mk II || Lens: Canon 24-70mm L || Exposure: f/11 at 1/250
These “6-spot Burnet” moths are enjoying some Greater Knapweed on the edge of the road near the airstrip on Inishmore, the largest of the Aran Islands, to the West of Ireland in Galway Bay.
The botanical name of Greater Knapweed is “Centaurea scabiosa“. It prefers alkaline soils. The Aran Islands have a limestone geology similar to the nearby Burren region of County Clare on the Irish mainland. Consequently the two regions provide a suitable habitat for Knapweed and many other wild flowers that they have in common.
The islands are also rich in insect life because of the mostly organic farming methods practiced on the islands.
This is part of my new postcard range. You can follow on to another gorgeous Very Ireland Post card .
This photograph is also available as part of a:
History of this image on RedBubble
- 11 th June 2015 View Count reached 10,000
- 2nd April 2015 View Count reached 9,000
- 30th January 2015 View Count reached 8,000
- 11 th November 2014 View Count reached 7,000
- 15 th June 2014 View Count has reached 6,007
- 13 th November 2013 View Count has reached 5,175
- 29 th September 2013 View Count has reached 5,005
- 11 th April 2013 View Count reached 4,000
- 30 th March 2013 Achieved its Tenth feature in the group Artists Universe
- 2nd October 2012 it had been viewed 3005 times;
- 11th June 2012 Featured in the Group Mother Nature’s Finest!
- 1st June 2012 Won the challenge Butterflies and Moths
- 3rd Oct 2011 featured in Featured for a Challenge
- 26th July 2011 featured for a second time in Nature Photography Challenge due to winning another challenge
- 6th July 2011 featured in Nature Photography Challenge due to winning a challenge
- 27th June 2011 Won the challenge Blooms-Beginning with K in the Nature Photography Challenge group
- 16th May 2011 Featured in The World
- 5th May 2011 Featured in Where on Earth is This
- 4th May 2011 it had been viewed 500 times had been made a favourite by 7 people and had sold 9 times as a greeting card.
- 5th Nov 2010 Featured “Wildflowers of the World”
- 29th July 2010 it had been viewed 100 times;
- 29th July 2010 Featured in “Closeups in Nature”
- 24th July 2010 Featured in “Celtic Realm”
- 19th July 2010 featured in: “Colour and Light”
Techie Photographic Details
- Taken on a Canon EOS 5D Mk II DSLR with a 24-70 zoom lens at 70mm. Exposure: f11 1/250. Minimal post-production processing in Apple Aperture.