In the Garden of Forbidden City. Beijing. China.
The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty. It is located in the middle of Beijing, China, and now houses the Palace Museum. For almost five centuries, it served as the home of the Emperor and his household, as well as the ceremonial and political centre of Chinese government. Built from 1406 to 1420, the complex consists of 980 surviving buildings with 8,707 bays of rooms1 and covers 720,000 square metres (7,800,000 square feet). The palace complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture,2 and has influenced cultural and architectural developments in East Asia and elsewhere. The Forbidden City was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987,2 and is listed by UNESCO as the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world.
Exiting the Kun Ning Gong and going further north, travelers will find the Imperial Garden. The garden is connected with the six palaces on both sides of the central axis of the Forbidden City. The rectangular Imperial Garden is 90 meters long from north to south and 130 meters wide from west to east, with a land expanse of about 11, 700 square meters. The Garden contains more than 20 different buildings in different styles: pavilions, terraces, towers and rockeries.