DOUGH CASTLE: North of the village on the Liscannor Road may be seen the remains of Dough Castle. It was originally founded by the O’Connors in 1306. Its old name "Dumhach Ui Chonchuir" would translate as O’Connor’s Sandbank and it was an O’Connor stronghold until they were ousted by the O’Briens in the days of Queen Elizabeth 1 of England. It is referred to in 1422 but none of the present ruin dates from that period. By 1584 the castle was held by Sir Donal O’Brien’s family. In 1654 Colonel Stubber, a Cromwellian officer, saved the castle from the "Commissioners for overthrowing and demolishing castles in Connaught and Clare" and it was described as a tall battlemented tower with a two-storey dwelling house attached to one side in 1675. The present ruin is the result of poor foundations (mainly sand) rather than the ravages of war. The building collapsed at various times, mainly during the nineteenth century. Only one wall now remains of Dough Castle. The sandhills are supposed to be the haunt of Donn Dumhach, the Fairy King, and the sandhill Crughaneer near the bridge is also supposed to be haunted.