"It is built entirely of dark blue limestone, and in fine chiseled workmanship; the ornamental grounds and woods extend over more than 1,500 acres of land.from some of the eminences there are views of the Shannon and Fergus, which, at this part of the country, resembles a large inland lake with island, making Dromoland one of the most beautiful and desirable residences in Ireland."
- Burke’s "Visitation of Seats", 1855.
Dromoland Castle, one of the most famous baronial castles in Ireland, was the ancestral home of the O’Briens, Barons of Inchiquin, who are one of the few native Gaelic families of royal blood and direct descendants of Brian Boroimhe (Boru) High King of Ireland in the eleventh century.
Brian Boru ruled Ireland as High King from his throne in Killaloe.
Dromoland has been preserved with little change since that time. The mansion is in "baronial" or "gothic revival" style. It has four linked irregular castellated turrets. There is a gothic porch to the north front where the O’Brien arms are displayed. The western portion faces out to the lake, and the east towards the hill where Thomond House now stands. The large walled gardens are to the south. In 1902 the 15th Baron Inchiquin, Lucius, took the old seventeenth century gateway from Leamaneh and erected it at the entrance to this large walled garden. A long curving drive leads from the gateway and classical lodge, passing north of the lake and round to the front door of Dromoland Castle.
In 1962, Donough O’Brien, the sixteenth Baron Inchiquin, sold Dromoland Castle and three hundred and fifty acres because of difficult financial circumstances. He built Thomond House on a hill overlooking Dromoland. He moved in to this Georgian style house in 1965 but died in 1968. It is now occupied by the 18th Baron Inchiquin.
Dromoland Castle was bought by a U.S. citizen, Bernard McDonough. Its vast rooms now serve as a top grade hotel.