|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Panasonic Lumix DMC FS30
Edited in Photoshop Elements 9 and Picasa 3.
Situated in Horsforth which is about 6 miles north west of Leeds.
History of St Margaret’s church, Horsforth .
The history of our church building started in 1865, when the incumbent of Horsforth parish was the Rev. W.H.B. Stocker. He, the parishioners and the patron of the living, Walter Spencer Stanhope, deemed the old Bell Chapel on The Green in Horsforth to be far too small to accommodate the size of the congregation. The Patron gave land for a new church.
A lack of funds and enthusiasm caused long delay before the present church was actually built. Its designer, John L. Pearson, was architect also of Truro Cathedral and several churches in West Riding. The nave and chancel were completed and dedicated in 1883. The belfry, spire and porches were added later and dedicated in September 1901. thus, the full church building took over 36 years to complete.
The first impression on entering the building is of light and space, helped greatly by the ten tinted clerestory windows, high above the nave.
The beauty of St Margaret’s Church is much enhanced by the quality of its stained glass windows, most of which have been given as memorials to past parishioners.
This smoke-darkened building can be seen for many miles around and is very dear to the hearts, not only of the congregation, but to hundreds of other people in this area. The relatively recent floodlighting scheme provides the town with a night-time view of its greatest landmark; it won an award for its designers, too.
The smoke darkening is from the industry within this region in the first half of the last century. Since the smoke free area acts in the 60’s this no longer happens. Many local buildings have been sand blasted to rid them of the smoke grime revealing the glorious golden local stone. Buildings that have not been cleaned like St Margaret’s do still have great charm and it would be a shame if all the old buildings were cleaned up.