Late afternoon in mid November 2010 looking across Yeadon Tarn, also known to locals as Yeadon Dam, towards Yeadon town and the sailing club. The tarn is right at the side of Leeds-Bradford airport and is a wild life haven.
At 09/01/11 104 Views.
Panasonic Lumix FS30
Straight from the camera.
A bit of general knowledge from Wikipedia.
At the time of the Anglo-Saxons in the early 7th century AD much of the Aire valley was still heavily wooded, although perhaps Yeadon itself stood out above the tree line. The place name is probably derived from two Old English words meaning high hill. Later Viking settlers called the highest point in the area Yeadon Haw. ‘Haw’ in this sense is derived from the Old Norse word haugr which also means hill.
Historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, Yeadon was a clothing and mill town in the 19th century. It had a cattle fair every year on the first Monday in April and the Yeadon Feast in the third week of August, which was held on Albert Square at the top of the High Street. The fair continued until the early 1980s, when housing for the elderly was built on the site.
Avro had a factory next to Yeadon Aerodrome from 1938 to 1946 which produced many of the company’s wartime planes, including the Lancaster, Lincoln, York and Anson. Approximately 700 Lancasters were produced at Yeadon. The town still has strong links with Leeds Bradford International Airport, with a considerable percentage of the local population employed there. Aviation heritage in Yeadon is also kept alive by the activities of 2168 (Yeadon) Squadron Air Training Corps. The former Yorkshire and England cricket captain Brian Close lived in the town during his childhood.
Yeadon is the location of one of the oldest fish and chip shops in the world, established in the 1870s. It is located on Sandy Way, just off Town Street, which is a cobbled hill to be found at the western end of the high street and is known locally as The Steep, or The Cobbles.
Yeadon was part of the old, large Guiseley Parish but a church, St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1844.
Yeadon is northwest of Leeds, at one of the highest points of the city, making it an unusual location for an airport. Yeadon Tarn (also known as Yeadon Dam) is located between High Street and the airport runway. During the Second World War it was drained to prevent enemy aircraft using its reflection as a landmark to identify the nearby Avro factory. The tarn is used for sailing and fishing. Mallard ducks, swans and a sizable population of Canada Geese can be found at the tarn. There is a BMX bike track adjacent to it, with competitions held in the summer.
The national charity Epilepsy Action has its headquarters in the town. The town is built mainly of stone buildings, making it more like neighbouring Bradford in appearance than Leeds.
Yeadon, along with neighbouring towns Guiseley and Rawdon, formed Aireborough Urban District, which was created in 1937 and abolished in 1974. Yeadon still hosts local Rugby Union side Aireborough RUFC at Nunroyd Park.
Yeadon Town Hall, the main civic building in the town, is known for its distinctive clock tower. The building was used as a registrar’s office in the Yorkshire Television programme, The Beiderbecke Tapes.