Photo was made in the old monastery of Villers-la-Ville (Belgium).
The Abbaye de Villers (Villers Abbey) was founded in the 12th Century, under the aegis of Saint Bernard.
In 1146, by invitation of the Lord of Marbais and his mother Judith, and through the impetus given by of Saint Bernard, one abbot, twelve monks and five lay brothers made the journey from Clairvaux to Villers to found an abbey there. However, the monastery was re-sited a few months laters –
lower down in the valley. This site now was ideal for the monastery: seclusion, plenty of water, and all the necessary building materials.
Pity – but the earliest buildings no longer exist : the Abbey was completely rebuilt by the end during the 13th Century.
According to the chronicle the Abbey numbered in those days no fewer than one hundred monks and three times as many lay brothers.
In 1796 the revolutionary French administration closed the Abbey and sold it off as a national property to a materials merchant.