The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again.
With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lips as if I might cry.
Well by the force of will my lungs are filled and so I breathe.
Lately it seems this big bed is where I never leave.
For it is such a long time since my better days.
I say my prayers nightly this will pass away.
The color of the sky is grey as I can see through the blinds.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again
with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my voice as I cry,
“What a cold and rainy day. Where on earth is the sun hid away?”
I shiver, quiver, and try to wake.
lyrics by Natalie Merchant
TeenScreen National Center for Mental Health
1775 Broadway, Suite 610
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 265-4453
TeenScreen Schools and Communities is an Effective Program for identifying youths at risk for depression and suicide. I believe that many suicides are preventable if teens know that help is available. Teens tend to be impulsive and may commit suicide without knowing the reality of of their decision.
Suicide is the third leading cause of death in 11 to 18-year-olds.
• 15% of U.S. high school students report serious thoughts of killing themselves in the past year.
• 11% of U.S. high school students report making a suicide plan in the past year.
• 7% of U.S. high school students report attempting suicide in the past year.
• 2% of U.S. high school students report having made a suicide attempt that required medical attention in the past year.
The majority, 63%, of teen suicide victims exhibit psychiatric symptoms for more than a year before their deaths.
• For every completed suicide, an estimated 8 to 25 attempts occur.
• 75% of parents did not know about their child’s self-harm behavior.
• Fewer than one in five adolescent ideators disclose their suicidal ideation and between 30% and 60% of suicide attempters do not disclose their attempts, with only 10% of suicide attempts being known to parents.
We were lucky, my child told a social worker at his high school, and we were able to get him the help he needed. He is fine today, in college and free from depression. He has learned the importance of mental health and has the tools to know when and where to get help, I hold great hope for him to live a long and happy life. ( But I’m always watching, not hovering, but always watching for signs.)
Florida, United States
boat by creative commons.org
textures by Skeletal Mess
textures by flypaper
texture 157 by Sirius sdz
texture 43 by Sirius sdz
texture 127 by Sirius sdz
texture 119 by Sirius sdz
The World As We See It Dec 2010
All Water In Motion Dec 2010
Beautiful Grunge Art Dec 2010
Altered By Design Dec 2010
Atmospheric Land And Seascapes Dec 2010
Moody and Evocative Dec 2010
RB Featured Art Page Dec 2010
Layered with Texture Dec 2010
Inspired Art Dec 2010
Best of Redbubble Jan 2011
Unity Jan 2011
All in Editing Jan 2011
Image Writing Jan 2012
Friends of RedBubble March 2012
The Dreaming Sea Nov 2012
Top Ten – January 2011 –
Daily Special Challenge All in, Editing
Sold 2 cards! Thank you!