TOP 10 at 08. February. 2009. in Church Ruins challenge in Historic Churches group.
FEATURED PHOTO on 08. February. 2009. Church Ruins challenge in Historic Churches group.
HOLY ISLAND Lindisfarne Abbey was founded in 635AD by St Aidan, the first of 16 bishops on the island. Viking raids began in 794 and continued, forcing the monks to flee to Durham Cathedral in 875AD, taking the body of St Cuthbert with them. The most important work produced at the abbey was the Lindisfarne Gospels, between 698 and 720 AD. These elaborate manuscripts are among the finest art works produced during the dark ages. They are kept at the British Museum. The priory was re-founded in 1082 and the island was renamed Holy Island. The priory remained active until 1537 until Henry VIII dissolved it. During Henry VIII’s reign, in 1550, Lindisfarne Castle was built as a gun fortress, and remained as such until 1820. Stones and material from the priory were used to build it. It is now owned by the National Trust following restoration earlier this century. The island is accessible by boat or along a causeway at each low tide. It is cut off for six hours at a time.
FEATURED PHOTO at 04. February. 2009. in Heritage in Stone group.