Featured in A Garden Somewhere http://www.redbubble.com/groups/the-colour-and-light-in-gardens Group on 01/29/12
Featured in Australian Coastal Towns http://www.redbubble.com/groups/australian-coastal-towns Group on 05/13/12
Taken with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH1 point & shoot in 2010. Processing in Simply HDR for Mac.
The Highfield Historic Site near Stanley, at Circular Head, represents an important part of Tasmania’s historic heritage. In 1982 the Tasmanian Government acquired the Highfield property with funds from the National Estate.
In 1825, the Van Diemen’s Land Company (formed in England) was granted the rights by Royal Charter, under King George IV, to a huge tract of unsettled land, beyond the ramparts of the unknown.The company was to breed fine wool on a large scale for England. Circular Head was ultimately chosen as the centre of operations.
Stud livestock, implements, craftsmen and indentured labourers from England (along with convicts assigned from Hobart) arrived in October 1826.
Under Edward Curr as chief agent, the Company explored, surveyed and developed the northwest.
The construction of the present ‘Highfield’, thought to be designed by Henry Hellyer for Edward Curr as his new home, commenced in May 1832. Later additions to Highfield were designed by John Lee Archer, an important Tasmanian colonial architect, and built during 1844 – 1845. Convict barracks, barns, stables, chapel and large ornamental gardens were features of the estate.
This view is of the North front facade and garden of the Highfield House homestead, remarkably unaltered since construction of the kitchen and servants quarters (on the right) in 1844.