Just a short distance from the Hobart Botanical Gardens Restaurant and Visitor Centre, this romantic carved arch is set at the base of stone steps surrounded by tall shady trees and shrubs. It is a popular site for weddings and ceremonies.
The arch was originally constructed in 1913 to span the entrance of the Australian Mutual Provident Society’s original Elizabeth Street building. When that building was demolished, AMP donated the arch to the Gardens. It was re-erected in 1968 in time for celebrations of the Gardens’ 150th Anniversary.
The intricately carved stonework shows the skilled craftsmanship of Mr Amos Vimpany, a well known local stonemason of the time.
Featured 08/29/11 in Cee’s Which Way http://www.redbubble.com/groups/which-way Group
Featured 09/16/11 in All Glorious Gardens http://www.redbubble.com/groups/all-glorious-gardens Group
This winter shot taken with Pentax k-r on 21 August 2011.
Lens Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
Minor adjustments to shadows, highlights, cropping and sharpening in PSE 9.
Converted to jpeg for uploading to redbubble.