549 views as at 8th February 2012.
Maylands is an historic building at 27 Pirie Street, New Town, Hobart, Tasmania.
Designed by one of Tasmania’s most famous 19th century architects, Henry Hunter, Maylands was originally the residence of Mr John Pearce and his family. John Pearce was the Chairman of the Van Diemens Land Bank (VDL Bank). After his death in 1910, his wife (second) moved to Lindisfarne and the property was then occupied by a Spencer Brownell.
In 1924 it was taken over by the Girls Industrial School. The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the Hobart Town Female Refuge to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen’s Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to ’Kensington House, Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to ’Maylands , Pirie Street, New Town.
The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army who ran it as Maylands Girls Home. It closed in 1981, but Maylands continued to run a residential programme for teenage girls until 1998.
The heritage listed building is now the Tasmanian administration headquarters for the Salvation Army.
Taken with Pentax k-r on 26 August 2011.
Lens Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
Minor adjustments to shadows, highlights and sharpening in PSE 9.
Converted to jpeg for uploading to redbubble.
100 views as at 27 September 2011.
Featured 08/29/11 in Australian Capital Cities http://www.redbubble.com/groups/australian-capital-cities Group
Featured 08/29/11 in DSLR Users http://www.redbubble.com/groups/dslr-users-only-3-a-day/featured_works?page=2 Group
Top Ten in Australian Capital Cities http://www.redbubble.com/groups/australian-capital-cities/challenges/38273-adelaide-vs-hobart-who-has-the-best-heritage-buildings Challenge