Featured in Your Country’s Best http://www.redbubble.com/groups/happy-haven Group on 07/12/13
Featured in A Place To Call Home http://www.redbubble.com/groups/a-place-to-call-home Group on 07/13/13
Featured in Snaptacular http://www.redbubble.com/groups/snaptacular Group on 07/201/13
Featured in Christian Churches http://www.redbubble.com/groups/christian-churches-sculptures-and-crosses Group on 09/17/13
The church at Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo
Founded in 1720, the mission was named for Saint Joseph and the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo, the governor of the Province of Coahuila and Texas at the time. It was built on the banks of the San Antonio river several miles to the south of the earlier mission, San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo).
Its founder was the famed Father Antonio Margil de Jesús, a very prominent Franciscan missionary in early Texas.
San José, as it became known, was the largest of the missions in the area. At its height, the community contained about 350 Indian neophytes, sustained by extensive fields and herds of livestock. Viewed as the model among the Texas missions, San José gained a reputation as a major social and cultural center. It became known as the “Queen of the Missions.” Its imposing complex of stone walls, bastions, granary, and magnificent church was completed by 1782.
Having fallen into disrepair and partial ruin over the years, the San Antonio Conservation Society and the Federal Government among others, undertook to restore portions of the mission community in the 1920s and 1930s. The church, which had lost its dome, bell tower, and a wall, was rededicated in 1937.
In 1941, Mission San José was declared a State Historic Site, and later that same year, a National Historic Site. When the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park was established in November 1978, the Spanish colonial mission was assured of protection in cooperation with the Archdiocese of San Antonio and the parish.
Taken with Pentax k-30 on 19 June 2013.
Lens Pentax 18-55mm
HDR in Simply HDR for Mac