St Abbs is a small fishing village located on the southeast coast of Scotland, in the Berwickshire area of the Scottish Borders.
This view is from the harbour area looking out to St Abbs Head, a landmark site for birdwatchers and wildlife enthusiasts. This National Nature Reserve is home to thousands of guillemots, kittiwakes, razorbills, shags, fulmars, puffins and herring gulls nesting on narrow ledges from April to August, and the cliffs here offer a spectacular vantage point for observing their behaviour.
St Abbs was originally known as Coldingham Shore, the name was changed in the 1890’s to St Abbs. The new name was derived from St Abb’s Head, a rocky promontory located to the north of the village, itself named after St Aebbe.
St. Abbs is a popular site for Scuba Divers. The sea around the village is unusually clear, in contrast to the more silt-laden coastal waters further to the north or south. These clear waters and the spectacular underwater scenery resulted in Britain’s first Voluntary Marine Reserve being established at St. Abbs. The Marine Reserve was established on 18 August 1984 by David Bellamy.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro.
Featured in : Nature’s Paintbrush : 13 Feb 13