Shearman House, the stone building with the 70 feet (21.3m) chimney was opened in 1864 as a public wash-house and baths. Designed by Miles Thompson, the wash-house had facilities for 22 washerwomen and included clothes-horses on rail tracks and two pioneer spin-dryers. It was intended to alleviate the discomforts of washday for working families living in damp and ill-ventilated cottages, There were eight large porcelain baths, the lowest charge for a warm bath being two young women together at threepence each.
Later, it became council offices, and is now The Miles Thompson public house – allegedly the first non smoking pub in England.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Two RAW images, individually Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.2.4 then PhotoMerged in Adobe Elements 11.