Built in 1591, the Canongate Tolbooth was the administrative focus, the tax-collection point, the council chamber, the court and the jail for the burgh of Canongate.
When the Tolbooth was built, the Canongate was a separate burgh in its own right to the east of Edinburgh, Scotland, but is now an Edinburgh suburb located near the bottom of the Royal Mile.
The Tolbooth Tavern has occupied part of the old Tolbooth since 1820. It is a great pub, well worth a visit and you may even bump into it’s resident ghost.
A distinctive clock, dating from 1884, juts out from the side of the tower to overhang the street. A major restoration of c.1875 combined the attic and first floor to create a space now occupied by the People’s Story Museum.
Next to the Tolbooth Tavern, directly under the clock at street level is Old Tolbooth Wynd.
The Canongate Tolbooth is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Building (HB Number 27582).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM