Designed by Andrea Palladio, Chiesa del Redentore (Basilica of the Most Holy Redeemer), better known simply as Il Redentore (Church of the Redeemer), is located on La Giudecca, one of the major Islands of Venice, Italy.
Inside are works by Domenico Tintoretto, Veronese, Palma il Giovane, Francesco Bassano, Alvise Vivarini and Pietro della Vecchia.
A festival and the church owe their origin to an epidemic of plague in 1576. At that time the Senate vowed to build the church and to celebrate the Feast of the Redemption; the Franciscans undertook the religious obligations. The building of the church began in 1577 and was completed in 1592.
After the dedication of the church the Doge came every year with the chief officials of the state to a thanksgiving service. The Venetians still make a pilgrimage here on the Feast of the Redemption (3rd Sunday in July) to thank the Saviour for the end of the epidemic. A bridge of boats is constructed from Zattere across the Giudecca Canal, over which the procession makes its way to the Church of the Redeemer. In the evening the festival concludes with a magnificent fireworks display and a procession of illuminated boats.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Solo Exhibition : 27 Oct 12
Featured in : Christian Churches, Statues & Crosses : 28 Oct 12
Featured in : Visions of Italy : 4 Nov 12
Featured in : Religious Architecture : 13 Nov 12
Featured in : Heritage Listed and Other Trusts Sites World Wide : 16 Nov 12
Featured in : The Addicted Photographer : 6 Nov 13
Related shots can be found at: Venice or Italy.