The current palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1424.
As well as being the Ducal residence, the palace housed political institutions of the Republic of Venice until the Napoleonic occupation of the city.
On the left is St Mark’s Campanile (Campanile di San Marco), the bell tower of St Mark’s Basilica, located in Piazza San Marco. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.
The campanile reached its present form in 1514. As it stands today, however, the tower is a reconstruction, completed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC
BEST VIEWED LARGER