|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Seen from Back Wynd, the West end of the Kirk of St Nicholas, an historic church located in the city centre of Aberdeen, Scotland. Officially known as the Kirk of St Nicholas (uniting) as it is membership of both the Church of Scotland and the United Reformed Church. It is also known as The Mither Kirk (Mother Church) of the city.
The earliest mention of a church on the site of the present Kirk can be found in a Papal document of 1157. Given Aberdeen’s proximity to the sea, St Nicholas was chosen as the patron saint of Aberdeen, as a miracle attributed to him was the rescue of some sailors in a storm.
The large Kirkyard of the church is separated from Union Street by a 147 ft (45 m) long Ionic facade, built in 1830. The divided church within, with a central tower and spire, forms one continuous building 220 ft (67 m) in length.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.2.1.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Sony 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 zoom
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Lowland Scotland.