Designed by Peddie and Kinnear and built between 1868 and 1874, this large and impressive 4-storey and attic, 16-bay, Flemish-medieval turreted Town House incorporating remaining part of the 17th century Tolbooth and with advanced 6-stage corbelled and bartizaned square-plan 210 ft (64 m) clock tower with spire to West.
The Town House contains the great hall, with an open timber ceiling and oak-panelled walls; the Sheriff Court House; the Town and County Hall, with portraits of Prince Albert, the 4th Earl of Aberdeen, various Lord Provosts and other distinguished citizens.
In the vestibule of the entrance corridor stands a suit of black armour, believed to have been worn by Provost Sir Robert Davidson, who fought in the Battle of Harlaw in 1411.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.2.1.
Camera: Sony NEX-7
Lens: Sony 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 zoom
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Lowland Scotland.