St Abbs was originally known as Coldingham Shore, the name was changed in the 1890’s to St Abbs. The new name was derived from St Abb’s Head, a rocky promontory located to the north of the village, itself named after St Aebbe.
St. Abbs is a popular site for Scuba Divers. The sea around the village is unusually clear, in contrast to the more silt-laden coastal waters further to the north or south. These clear waters and the spectacular underwater scenery resulted in Britain’s first Voluntary Marine Reserve being established at St. Abbs. The Marine Reserve was established on 18 August 1984 by David Bellamy.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
Three bracketed RAWs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro 4.2.1.
BEST VIEWED LARGER