Construction started in 1883. The bridge was opened in 1890 at a cost of £2.5m (~£205m in today’s prices) and 57 fatalities among the construction crew (it is now believed that the actual death toll is likely to have been closer to 80).
The bridge is still in use today, carrying the railways to the north from Edinburgh. Along with the Forth Road Bridge (about half a mile to the west) these two bridges form the main traffic arteries north and south.
Beneath the bridge at the top of the recently repaired Hawes Pier is the recently completed RNLI Queensferry Lifeboat Station. Queensferry Lifeboat Station has operated an inshore lifeboat for nearly 40 years. The crews have been presented with three awards for gallantry.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.1.4.
Featured in : Old Farts of Redbubble : 22 Apr 12