Situated in the pleasant surrounding of Castle Park, on the southern edge of Penrith, Cumbria, England, Penrith Castle was began in 1399, when William Strickland, later to become Bishop of Carlisle and Archbishop of Canterbury, added a stone wall to an earlier Pele Tower, primarily as a defence against Scottish raids.
The castle was improved and added to over the next 70 years, becoming a royal fortress for Richard, Duke of Gloucester before he became King Richard III in 1483. The ruins that can be seen today date from about that time.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Sold 1 Postcard : 6 Apr 12