Just off the Highgate in the large market town of Kendal on the eastern edge of Cumbria, England is Yard 83, also known as Dr. Manning’s Yard, famous for looking almost exactly the same as it did when it was built in 1700.
A plaque on the wall at the entrance to the yard states:
In this house George Braithwaite, dyer, established a drysalter’s business in 1713 supplying dyestuffs, alum, fuller’s earth and other technical materials to the local textile trade.
Down the yard were workers’ cottages, the counting house or office over the archway, a ropewalk, a weaving shed and a dyehouse.
The family were noted Quakers and philanthropists and set up a soup kitchen. Dr Manning practiced here for many years in the early 1900’s.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
BEST VIEWED LARGER