A lovely warm Spring day (2nd May 2011), running water, an element of danger and a group of teenagers; there was no way that they could resist getting wet!!
The weir was originally used to power a trip hammer at Fairafar Mill which was used to work old iron into maleable bars.
Now reduced to a shell, this mill, first mentioned in 1676, was originally a waulkmill. (Fulling or tucking or walking (waulking in Scotland)) is a step in woollen clothmaking which involves the cleansing of cloth (particularly wool) to eliminate oils, dirt, and other impurities, and making it thicker.
The worker who does the job is a fuller, tucker, or walker. The Welsh word for a Fulling Mill is pandy. This is used in several place-names.)
Locate this part of Edinburgh by clicking here.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.0.2.