LNER D49 Class 4-4-0 No.246 Morayshire.
Shown here at Bo’ness, properly Borrowstounness, a town in the Falkirk Council area of Scotland, lying on a hillside on the south bank of the Firth of Forth. Prior to 1975 it was in the former county of West Lothian.
Morayshire was designed by Gresley and built at the LNER Darlington Works in 1928, Morayshire is the only surviving member of 76 ‘Shires’.
As British Railways No.62712 Morayshire continued in service until 1961 and was then used as a stationary boiler at Slateford Laundry until 1964.
The locomotive was subsequently donated to the Royal Scottish Museum. It was restored at Inverurie Works, Dalmeny and the SRPS Falkirk Depot.
In 1975 Morayshire featured in the Stockton & Darlington Railway 150th Anniversary at Shildon and hauled several main-line excursions until 1981.
A major overhaul of Morayshire has recently been undertaken at Bo’ness and it now regularly carries passengers up and down on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway from Bo’ness Station to Birkhill.
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society operates the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway, which has been developed since 1979 on a green-field site by the south shore of the Firth of Forth.
Several historic buildings have been obtained and re-erected to provide a traditional railway setting. Bo’ness station opened in 1981. The line was extended to Kinneil in 1987 and to Birkhill in 1989. The passenger service now operates to Birkhill, where the fireclay mine is open to the public.
Best viewed Larger.