On the corner of Stricklandgate and Lowther Street in the large market town of Kendal on the eastern edge of Cumbria, England, stands Kendal Town Hall with its impressive clock tower.
A plaque on the wall outside the Town hall states the following:
On this site once stood White Hall, believed to have been an exchange hall for Kendal’s cloth trade with Virginia. It was replaced in 1825 by a new White Hall, designed by Kendal architect Francis Webster and incorporating a billiards room, newsroom, lecture hall and ballroom. Converted to the Town Hall in 1859 this forms the southern part of the present building. Extensions were commenced in 1893, when Alderman William Bindloss and Mrs Bindloss made a very generous contribution towards the cost of the alterations and improvements. A new tower was added for the clock, and eleven bells which were rung for the first time on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
The original building had a cupola where the clock tower is today. This was replaced with the clock and tower in 1861, thanks to a hefty financial gift from John Wakefield. Originally the clock faces were lit with gas lamps.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.0.2.
Sold 1 Card : 24th Feb 11
Featured in : Cumbria…..Outside The Park : 10 Mar 11