This small canal is the Rio de San Trovaso in the Sestière di Dorsoduro area of Venice, Italy.
The Sestière di Dorsoduro got its name because this side of the city was less swampy and had a harder surface, in Venetian Dorso duro, means hard back.
The canal is crossed by several typically Venetian arched footbridges; Ponte Longo is in the foreground of the shot and the next bridge is Ponte San Trovaso.
In between the two small bridges, on the left of the canal is Chiesa di San Trovaso (Church of St. Trovaso), a fine example of Palladian style architecture.
The church was founded in the early 9th century and rebuilt after a fire in 1105. The building collapsed in 1583 and work on the present church (designed by Francesco Smeraldi, a pupil of Andrea Palladio) started in the following year.
The church, built in the shape of a Latin cross with six chapels along the nave, has two identical façades. This was said to be so that the two rival local factions, the Nicolotti and Castellani families, could each have an entrance of equal importance.
The Rio San Trovaso canal is famous for its surviving Gondola Workshop just beside San Trovaso Church.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.0.2.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Communities : 8 Feb 11