The fortress dominates the entrance to the Venetian harbour of Heraklion. The Venetians called it the “Sea Fortress” (Castello a Mare or Rocca a Mare), but today it is known by its Turkish name, Koules, a corruption of Su Kulesi (Water Tower). It is one of the most familiar and beloved monuments of the city, and the symbol of Heraklion.
Initially built by the Venetians, it was destroyed by the great earthquake of 1303 and took its final shape between 1523 and 1540. During the Ottoman occupation, when it served as a prison.
Built for the protection of the breakwater, the wall of the city ends here. The fortress is built with massive rocks and has two floors. The ground floor has a vaulted roof with large skylights. Thick walls divide the entire place into 26 lodgings, used as the residences of the Castellan, the Captains and the Officials, as well as warehouses. The upper parts as well as the minaret’s foundations are Turkish.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : 1’st Knight : 4 Feb 11