Walking East from St Marks Square along the fondamente Riva degli Schiavoni (the wide quayside path) running along the Giudecca Canal in Venice, Italy, you will come upon this little bridge (Ponte del Sepolcro) – far left of the shot – which crosses the Rio della Pietà (canal).
Ferries and Vaporetti line the quayside at this very busy spot.
Towering over the buildings is the leaning Campanile of Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Greci.
San Giorgio dei Greci is a Greek Orthodox Church begun in 1539 and consecrated in 1561. The Campanile leans alarmingly to the west over the Rio San Lorenzo (canal) due to uneven subsidence beneath.
The large building at the back of the shot is the Basilica del Santi Giovannie e Paolo, one of the largest churches in the city.
The whole of Venice and its Lagoon is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER