The foundation stone of the GPO was laid on October 23, 1861, by Prince Albert.
The GPO has now been redeveloped into high tech offices with a central atrium and a roof garden (work started in February 2002). The whole seven-storey interior of the building, extending above and below Waterloo Place, has been removed and a glass exterior wall built inside the original facade of the GPO building. This is one of Europe’s largest ever facade retention projects.
North Bridge was the catalyst which finally brought about a northwards expansion of the city with the New Town. It provided a link from the Old Town to the south. The original bridge was replaced by another built of steel girders by Sir William Arrol in 1895. This is now subject to the highest levels of protection as a structure of historical and architectural interest.
North Bridge is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Structure (HB Number 30035).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix 4.0.2.