A popular meeting place situated between East and West Princes Street Gardens at The Mound, the National Galleries of Scotland look after one of the world’s finest collections of Western art ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day.
Designed by the architect William Henry Playfair (1790-1857), the National Gallery of Scotland (the building on the left) and the Royal Scottish Academy (the building on the right) stand in the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland.
The Royal Scottish Academy is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed Building (HB Number 27744).
Although originally built as separate structures, their histories have long been intertwined, and since the completion of the Playfair Project in 2004, they have been physically joined by the underground Weston Link.
Prince Albert layed the foundation stone of the National Gallery at The Mound on 30 August, 1850. The Gallery was finally opened to the public on 24 March, 1859. The building is shared by the National Gallery and the Royal Scottish Academy.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Click here for an aerial view.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed RAWs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro 4.0.2.
Some perspective correction in Adobe Photoshop CS4.