Designed by the architect William Henry Playfair (1790-1857), the Royal Scottish Academy and the National Gallery of Scotland stand in the heart of Edinburgh. Although originally built as separate structures, their histories have long been intertwined, and since the completion of the Playfair Project in 2004, they have been physically joined by the underground Weston Link.
Prince Albert layed the foundation stone of the National Gallery at The Mound on 30 August, 1850. The Gallery was finally opened to the public on 24 March, 1859. The building is shared by the National Gallery and the Royal Scottish Academy.
The National Galleries of Scotland look after one of the world’s finest collections of Western art ranging from the Middle Ages to the present day.
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed RAWs converted to HDR in Photomatix Pro 4.0.2.