Behind the Dugald Stewart Monument, on the left (closer to the centre of the shot) is Old Observatory House, the original Old Royal Observatory of Edinburgh. Dating from 1776, it is one of few surviving buildings by James Craig (1744-95), planner of the New Town.
Once housing a camera obscura, Old Observatory House is now being renovated by the Vivat Trust into holiday accommodation. It is now possible to rent the building and it will sleep up to 4 people. A seven night stay from Mon 27th Dec ’10 will cost £1,530, however, there is no point looking as it is already fully booked until next year.
Old Observatory House is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed building (HB Number 27608).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro.